Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Jesus Nature

Just thinking about Jesus this afternoon.

This morning I read a bit of G.K. Chesterton's, Orthodoxy.

This quote stood out to me.
'For Orthodox theology has specially insisted that Christ was not a being apart from God and Man, like an elf, nor yet a being half human and half not, like a centaur, but both things at once and both things thoroughly, very man and very God.'
(Orthodoxy, 98).

So this is the visual lesson I thought I'd share with the blogging community.



Not Quite Jesus...



Still... Not Quite Jesus...


So my curiousity is: How do we even begin to understand the 'very God and very Man' nature of Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. maybe Jesus is more like Gandalf or Aslan? ;)

    -bent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno Ben... Gandalf = Jesus?
    And as for Aslan: Yes, but...

    Well we found it at last...
    The place where C.S. Lewis' masterpiece allegory strikes me as insufficient.

    I love Narnia. Aslan is a great image of God/Jesus.
    But, it strikes me now under this train of thought, that Narnia/Aslan doesn't help me unravel the way Jesus lived and existed in every way as a male human being...

    You know?
    I guess its one of those mysterious things that can't be explained away simply: Jesus was very God, and very man. There's no simpler way to put it. I just don't think about it enough, I guess.

    I suppose I was hoping their was some cool comparison, or some other image that would reconcile the two realities.

    ReplyDelete